Retail Sales Coaching should be designed to work on behalf of each individual Salesperson who wants to succeed for them, while being part of an environment that nurtures and speeds their growth.
Retail Sales Training is for each person who cared to show up today to express themselves in a retail sales environment and who demands more of themselves. Retail Sales Training is for people who want to feel they have done their best with what they knew, today.
Retail Sales Coaching’s purpose is to clarify, in a realistic, truthful and meaningful way, precisely how each person can perform better. It must do this by connecting people with the objectives of the company within the framework of their own need to succeed and be recognized.
Retail Sales Training Software must work by identifying the absolute area of selling skill, the one out of five key performance indicators (KPIs), which if the Salesperson were to focus on exclusively, would become their best performance enhancer – their best chance at optimum improvement.
Retail Sales Coaching Software should be about helping your company and its people become richer by revealing the truth about their performance, on an individual basis, so your Salespeople can focus on making their most significant improvements in the shortest period of time.
The result of implementing the right solution is that each Salesperson’s performance is increasing at optimum speed, so you can expect your retail store as a whole to increase sales by anywhere from ten to thirty percent.
Any Retail Sales Training system of appraisal and reporting should make sales people accountable for their time by measuring their performance according to key KPI’s, against each other, and against the store average. Unless measurements are taken on a regular basis and compared with the rest of the people on the shift it would be impossible to know the area in which to train.
Today, most POS software programs generate KPIs such as average sale, items per sale, sales per hour. However, they do not allow store managers to set sales goals and divide them up proportionally between salespeople so effectively POS sales reports are useless.
While door counters are useful unless they integrate with an effective Retail Training software program they cannot generate Conversion Rate KPIs – one of the fundamental KPI’s used in Sales Training.
There are software programs available to compliment your POS that will do the job including breaking down slow and fast periods of the day by weightings.
Here are some things to look for in a Retail Sales Training Software Program:
- Store Information Register to record specific information about the store.
- Staff Information Register and Coaching Log to record specific information and availability and coaching history of each sales person.
- Weekly Sales Goals Planner that automatically divides the store sales goal fairly between the salespeople on duty, including taking into account slow and fast periods of the day.
- Weekly Staff Roster to allocate staff to a time and attendance schedule within the framework of the store’s wage budgets, warning when over rostering and helping to improve wage to sales ratio efficiency.
- Actual Performance Score Card that tracks individual actual sales performance against individual sales goals to identify areas of weakness and strength so that managers can coach behaviors.
- Optimally, coaching tips should be integrated so managers can quickly get information about coaching on specific deficient selling skills.
The objectives of Retail Sales Training Software Programs are to:
- Increase profits, decrease costs, motivate staff
- Bring Retailers in line with industry Best Practice
- Filter company sales objectives down to Individual Salespeople on the shop floor
- Focus Store Managers on the two operational expenses within their control: Wages and Individual Sales Performance
- Make Salespeople accountable for their time
- Reduce payroll by Rostering within set wage parameters
- Identify each individual Salesperson’s deficient selling skills each week
- Show sales trends for each individual salesperson and store
- Integrate self-based coaching to give front line store managers’ tips on demand
- Motivate employees by instilling a performance based team culture
- Identify best performers allowing Store Managers to roster those staff more often – yielding a higher wage to sales ratio or ROI
- Reduce attrition rates, retain good staff
- Introduce a system of setting standards, tracking, measuring and reporting results, identifying under performance and coaching for success
- Integrate with POS to produce instant information at Salespeople’s fingertips.
Retail competition is fierce and times are tough. If you want to increase retail sales performance then coaching sales people is vital to success. Successful retailers put into place best practice retail training software programs to help them immediately identify skill areas requiring coaching attention.
Without the help of retail performance metrics you may be wasting valuable training time and missing the point for each individual salesperson.